Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Okay, Twilight, Here's the Deal

It was brought to my attention on my twitter feed that  Harry Potter fans can freak out and go crazy and not be called annoying, but every time a Twilight fan open's their mouth there is always hell to pay on their part.

Now I can't say that I hate Twilight, but I can say that I hate what it's done to us.

I was a 15 year old girl reading Twilight once. I loved Edward and I loved Jacob more and Alice was my favorite. I spent countless hours reading the books, bought them all in hardcover and even own an over sized Twilight t-shirt.

While I was never a big enough fan to go to a midnight release or go super crazy on merchandise, there was a time when I was Twinerd, and so I still see the movies, but leave my books on my bottom shelf where people can't see them.

What makes me detest Twilight now is that it's made people crazy. It has made teenage girls crazy. It has made parents crazy. It has made haters crazy.

We have all gone crazy.

I cannot fathom why you would pick awkward, whiny Kristen Stewart for an MTV movie award over Emma Watson who has grown to be a wonderful actress or why you would pick Robert Pattinson over Johnny Depp for an international award when Johnny Depp's influence as an actor is so much more far reaching.

It doesn't even make sense for New Moon to win over Avatar as movie of the year even if it was mediocre.

Do you understand what I'm saying. Twilight has made us all lose our minds, but. . .

Twilight is not all bad. Give them points for their creative twist on a werewolf and you can't say you're not happy to see Taylor Lautner without his shirt on because he's an Adonis of man.

The reason, at least on my part, that Twilight gets so much crap is because a lot of the fans have just taken it too far.

Do we really need Edward Cullen's mouth on the crotch of our panties? Absolutely not.

Can we really take girls who think the movie "Wolfman" ripped off Jacob Black seriously? No we cannot and we should not.

When you're on Google, if you type in "Is Edward", Google shouldn't want to auto-fill in "Is Edward Cullen real?"

And, despite that silver Volvo you happened to see out the window of your own car, your life probably isn't Twilight.

The reason I think Harry Potter fans never get flamed the way that Twilighters do [with the exception of getting flamed BY Twilighters] is because Twilight fans are just kind of really out there and Harry Potter are kind of, well, rude.

Now, I cringe at the idea of being called rude, but it's true. We can be pretty ruthless when people display general ignorance or when people are [God forbid] Twilight fans.

Let's take one of my favorite people for example, Omegleshit. I laugh at every single post that goes on that site, but there is one post where an unknowing Twilight fan girl says the wrong things about Harry Potter and  gets ripped to pieces over it.

Now, I won't lie - it was hilarious, but, just as most hilarious things are, it was really, really rude too. Like, the girl had no idea that she was going to get laid into like that.

And, Harry Potter fans making fun of My Life is Twilight, ahem, yeah, the internet isn't the best place to keep your dirty little secrets.

And, as far as creepy, inappropriate merchandise goes, I hope no one has forgotten about the whole vibrating broom incident [which was still, accidentally hilarious].

Twilight may be shallow and be about stalker, sparkly, creepy vampires and helpless, whiny girls, and there may be an insane amount of fans of it who are just way too into it, but they're still people.

Creepy and weird people, but people none the less.

Besides, not all Twilight fans are like that. In fact, I'm friends with plenty of people in real life who love Twilight  and they are neither creepy nor weird - at least not in respect to Twilight anyway.

And, keep in mind Harry Potter fans may not put pictures of Harry Potter in underwear we have some of the creepy and weirdest fan fiction ever. Don't deny it. I've read it.

Example: Indian Jones and Tom Riddle Jr. Butt sex ensues.

So Harry Potter fans - let's tone down our superiority complexes and try to love each other, okay? And Twinerds, try to either tone down the crazy or just keep it to yourself.

Fare thee well,
April

[Picture credit to Omegleshit.tumblr.com]

1 comment:

  1. Hear, hear!
    Lots of good points.
    I would also like to point out my own race- people who are big fans of both Harry Potter AND Twilight. I may not be a fan to a crazy extent, but I love them both equally and think they are both wonderful and interesting and a lot of fun. I go to the midnight releases for both. I go to Twilight release parties and wizard rock concerts.
    There are crazy fans of all kinds of things. Twilight fans just get the most flack for it.
    Thanks for being objective, April. =]

    ReplyDelete