Tuesday, July 19, 2011

I Think I Hate You Facebook

Greetings!

So, I'm irritated and the only way I know how to properly express anger is by writing it down or making my followers on Twitter mad with a series "CAPSLOCK APRIL" tweets which are annoying and probably take away from my irritation by irritating other people. And thus, I turn here.

Today, what irritates me is something that has irritated me for a while now: Facebook.

I liked Facebook for a while, then I moved to Twitter which basically completes my social networking soul. And I always went back to Facebook every day to see how friends are doing, post a status update maybe, perhaps I'd post something funny or cool I found on the internet. I was just as quiet and friendly on Facebook as I am in real life.

It has just now occurred to me, however, that if my reserved personality can show through on Facebook people who are obnoxious in real life can most certainly be obnoxious on Facebook too.

People who post the same status four times in a week make me want to slam my head against my desk repeatedly. I understand that maybe you really do love your life. Maybe you really are happy just doin' you, but if you're going to clog my feed with your repetitiveness and make me waste 10 seconds (that I could spend about BBC or CNN or HuffPo or The Onion or seeing what's new in Star Trek)  for the love of Helga Hufflepuff, could you at least mix it up a little.

And another thing--why do people feel the need to put pointed statuses up on Facebook. For example: "I'm so over the Facebook drama. I didn't know we were still in high school, but it's okay. Go ahead and be childish. I'm on my own level" or something to that effect.(I've never had Facebook drama so excuse me if I'm not clear on how these ridiculous statuses are supposed to work.)

That's not just something you say in general. You are obviously talking about ONE person and you are obviously doing nothing but continuing the Facebook drama by making pointed comments.

What really, really, grinds my gears about Facebook is that people are exactly the same online as they are in real life, except BRAVER. I mean, pointed status updates are basically things you whisper to your friends behind other people's back. And you can put them on blast on Facebook , saying anything and everything you want about them WITHOUT using their name and when you see them IRL or if the pop-up chat you on Facebook you're going to be just as polite as possible even if you said 30 seconds ago that you were so over them and that you were going to be above the BS.

This leads me to one conclusion: I find people obnoxious in real life. If people are braver on the internet wouldn't it make them even MORE obnoxious? Facebook increases obnoxiousness dramatically. It increases stupid dramatically. It increases the amounts of face palms I do daily, dramatically.

And the obvious answer is to just delete all the stupid obnoxious people from your profile, from your life. But there are some people who you can't get rid of because that would leave to drama in your real life which you try desperately to avoid because no matter how much you love someone some people in your life are just annoying on the internet.

I'm sure people get tired of me always going on about Harry Potter on Facebook. I'm sure they think that's obnoxious, I'm sure they wish I would tone it down. I'm sure that in person they think "aw, April like Harry Potter. How cute." but on Facebook they feel like "If she posts about Deathly Hallows 2 again I will cut that bitch."

And if I can be obnoxious on the internet and adorable in real life then people can certainly be obnoxious online and just fine in real life.


But if you delete them on Facebook then obviously you have a problem with them because obviously Facebook is an accurate depiction of who your real friends are.

I know most people use Facebook to stalk people. I know you only friend some people so you can see their business and say "look at what this hoe is wearing. I always knew she was a skank. Let's look at her pictures and see how skanky she is."

But godforbid this person you don't even like deletes you. Then all of a sudden you're incredibly offended because how dare they dislike you.

I could keep going but I feel myself making less and less sense and understanding how much people and Facebook just annoy the crap out of me. Sometimes I just want to go on people's pages and post nasty Draco Malfoy type comments to shock them into shutting up.

But that is so not me. I feel guilty when I speak my mind about people making me upset. Like I have the balls to be nasty to people.

All though some day I really would like to use my favorite insult a la Sauruman from The Two Towers. "You stink of horse." That would be so boss.

*sigh*

To delete Facebook or not to delete Facebook. That is the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment