Friday, July 16, 2010

The History Channel Makes me Think Too Much

Greetings!

I sit here watching the History Channel because I will watch ANYTHING on the History Channel and there's an interesting special on - I believe it's about the American Nazi Party *rolls eyes* - that I've seen before.

The interesting thing that it addresses is the first amendment, my favorite amendment, freedom of speech.

Being thrilled to live in a country where I can say whatever the fuck I want and not be sent to jail for it I always wonder if there's a line when see shows like this.

We're allowed to protest. We're allowed to say whatever we want. However, should you allow the American Nazi Party *rolls eyes* to hold a protest/march/whatever in the most densely Jewish population in the country? The law says they're allowed to but, really? Really?

And there's the line.

I mean, I don't support Nazis but I also don't support squashing the first amendment. I mean I'd hate to let a group of dumbasses run around being ignorant but even dumbasses have the right to say the stupid ignorant things they want.

BUT SHOULD YOU LET THEM?

That is the question. Obviously you should but it's so not okay.

I mean, they're using the first amendment to propagate hatred and ignorance and I know in my heart of hearts that a country founded on the belief that all men are created equal [even though the constitution once said that my African American brethren only counted as 1/3  of a person...] did not write the first amendment so that it could be used to hurt other people.

They wrote it for the very opposite reason! They came from a country where if they said anything that irritated  anyone they could go to jail! They wanted to be able to speak their minds without superiors throwing sand in their eyes.

So why use it to go around kicking people in the face. The very fact that the Neo Nazis exist makes me want to kick them in the face but then to use our beloved constitution to try to bring people down make me want to go all crazy Gohan against Cell on them.

Still, even if I believe that they're ignorant dumbasses they do reserve the right to be that way, don't they?

I'm getting myself all confused and irritated so I'll just leave it at that.

Fare thee well,
April

No comments:

Post a Comment