Saturday, April 2, 2011

BEDA 2: Weird Nerd Love

Greetings!

It comes as no surprise to most people that I have pretty odd tastes in everything. Tragically, my music collection consists mostly of Wizard Rock, 80's Soft Rock, and Taylor Swift which just leaves most people looking at me like I've grown a third head (because, obviously, I already have two).

I'd like to say  that as I've gotten older my taste has gotten better, but it hasn't. It's only become more dated, more Wizard Rocky and more Taylor Swifty.

Musical interests aside, my attraction to most things in life is always odd. Including, most especially, my nerd crushes.

You know, your nerd crushes--those people you see reporting the news or narrating on the History Channel that just make your insides turn to mush?

What? I'm the only one that has those? Well, this is awkward. . .

Anyway, I've got three big nerd crushes. I'll start with the one that's stuck around for the longest:

George Stephanopoulos.

Now that you're done scratching your head, let me explain.

It all started a long time ago before he was an anchor or Good Morning America. Back when he was a political correspondent for ABC. And then he had his own political talk show in the morning on Sundays that I used to watch.

Political jargon always goes right over my head (I need to take a Poli-Sci class) so I never really paid much attention to what was going on, but I always watched George.

I'll be honest, what really caught my eye. One day, he popped up on to the screen and Oh. My. God. Yellow blazer. Black slacks. Black and yellow tie.

George Stephanopoulos is a Hufflepuff. Be still my beating heart.

It was a sign that this nerd love was meant to be. One day, I'll stop sleeping in so late and I'll be able to get up on time to actually watch him on the morning news again, and eventually I'll be more politically savvy and be able to understand more than 25% of what he's talking about.

My second nerd love is one of the contributors to one of my favorite television shows ever--The Universe. I always say that if I had been born with a talent for math and not for English, I'd definitely be working toward getting into NASA to do research because outer space, the final frontier, my God, I can't imagine a more enchanting field to study.

But alas, I can't wrap my brain around all the math that it takes understand how the universe works so, instead, I listen to my nerd love, Michio Kaku, dumb it down for me.

You're probably scratching your head again. I know, I know. But you just don't understand.

He's adorable. I probably find him adorable because every time I look at him I see a little Chibi-Michio, but that's beside the point. When he's on The Universe or talking to Nightline about the crisis in Japan, he always knows what he's talking about.

On the Universe he gets so excited. He'll sit there and talk about Shoemaker-Levy 9 and be so excited and say something like "It was the first time we were able to witness an extraterrestrial collision with our own two eyes! It was so boss!"

Of course, he doesn't use words like "Boss" although, my nerd head would probably explode if he did. Still, he gets really excited when he talks about things like that and when I see people nerding out about things that I nerd out about it just makes the little fangirl in me do a jig.

Also, don't act like you haven't noticed that he looks like an older version of Masi Oka.

And now, we come to my last nerd love. This guy is the reason I wanted to join Star Fleet as a child.

George Takei.

Now I know what you're thinking--"Come on, April! George Takei is gay! He could never love you!"

I know this, obviously, but gosh darn it, I can't help how I feel! I have felt this way since the very first time I watched Star Trek The Original Series.

And then recently, watching Heroes I discovered--Oh. My. God! Mr. Sulu is Hiro's father.

So, obviously, I love George Takei not because of his mind but because of the fantastically nerdy projects he's a part of. And I love that he's so openly passionate about equal marriage rights--this could have something to do with the fact that he's gay, but whatever. I am inclined to love people who love people loving people.

Did I mention that I followed him on Twitter and he DMed me? And my little nerd head nearly imploded from it.

I love that man.

Anyway, those are the nerd loves of April.

More like this to come in the future. It will be filled with people who are considerably less old (with the exception of Sean Connery) and less Asian (with the exception of Johnny Yong Bosch. Man, do I love Johnny Yong Bosch).

Fare thee well,
April

No comments:

Post a Comment