Sunday, April 3, 2011

BEDA 3: M. Night Shamalanadingdong

Greetings!

Do you remember WAY back when when M. Night Shyamalan first came onto the scene and everyone was pretty excited about his movies because they were pretty boss?

I mean, I watched the Sixth Sense. That movie was pretty damn good. And I liked Unbreakable as well.

But then we got to Signs and something about it just didn't feel right. Maybe it was because the only movies I liked Mel Gibson in were Pocahontas and Lethal Weapon. I get pretty excited about movies with aliens because I am an alien lover and all that, but Signs just wasn't my cup of tea. It wasn't completely bad but it could've been a lot better.

Still, I had hope that Shyamalan would come back and wow everyone with another good movie.

. . . And then I saw The Village.

This movie was horrible that I watched it once and Shyamalan lost all credibility.

Town stuck in the 1700s on the inside of a reserve in a forest where people dress up as animals to keep everyone from discovering the truth? Are you serious?

I watched that movie on a snow day when I was home from school. I cannot believe I wasted my snow day like that.

It started off pretty good, you know, you sat and you wondered what kinds of animals live in the forest and all that jazz but then Liam Neeson comes out and is like "Oh, we're the monsters."

And then she climbs a wall and, behold, civilization.

*head desk*

So, I decided to never watch another M. Night Shyamalan film again.

I saw the trailer for Lady in the Water and decided "I will not waste my time again."

But then, The Happening came out and it was rated-R and it had Mark Wahlberg and John Leguizamo and Zooey Deschanel and the concept of the movie didn't sound too horrible, so I thought, maybe it'll be a good one.

*shakes head*

No. Just no.

The only thing more disappointing than The Happening was The Knowing with Nick Cage and I feel about his acting the same way that I feel about Shyamaln's directing.

Which brings me to the greatest Shyamalan tragedy ever:

The Last Airbender. Do you know how psyched I was when I discovered that they were making that into a movie? I danced with glee and twirled and sang and was so happy.

And when I finally saw the trailer for it I was excited. It looked pretty cool. And then it said those words that also mean "This film will be terrible":

Directed by M. Night Shyamalan.

And then over and over and over again thousands of Avatar fans cried out in pain because such a masterful animated series had been butchered by this destroyer of everything he touches.

Most recently, I believe, he came out with a movie called Devil which is about five people being stuck in an elevator with, you guessed it, the devil.

Personally, I think a film about being stuck in an elevator would be scary enough, but throw in a stupid twist like the devil and slap Shyamalan's name on it and even I'm to frightened to watch it.

Fare thee well,
April

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I was done with Night after Signs. Then, I was "convinced" to see The Village and The Happening (thankfully I managed to skip Lady in the Water).

    I had absolutely no interest in watching Avatar: The Last Airbender, even after I saw a few episodes. So when I heard they were making a movie version called simply The Last Airbender and I saw "Written, Produced, and Directed by M. Night Shyamalan", I figured, "NO." It's like that bad significant other who hurts you and you take them back because you want to see them change for the better, and you give them one more chance, and they blow it. Needless to say, The Girlfriend and her crew dragged me kicking and screaming to see Airbender because her friends are fans of the show. I agreed, if for no other reason than to give Night one more chance.

    And of course, Night blew it.
    Again.

    How can M. Night Shymalan succeed in f$@%ing up two forms of media?! How can you totally... ruin the Avatar series and Last Airbender film franchise?! And you have to feel for Nickelodeon. Night derailed that poor network to the point they had to buy the rights to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles property.

    And now, I may be conned into watching Devil, thankfully merely produced by M. Night Shymalan.

    Never again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Personally, I think a film about being stuck in an elevator would be scary enough, but throw in a stupid twist like the devil and slap Shyamalan's name on it and even I'm to frightened to watch it." *gigglesnort* THIS is why I love you!(Along with your epic awesomeness.)

    ReplyDelete