Sunday, August 1, 2010

BEDA 1: Attention

Greetings!

So, I'm going to give this whole BEDA (Blog Everyday in August) thing a whirl! Here goes...

I recently read a book, Easy by Kerry Cohen Hofmann.

It was an easy read and it wasn't very long, but I think that book is going to stick with me forever.

It's about a 14-year-old girl who uses her sexuality to kind of make a name for herself and to get attention, and of course, she starts to self-loathe and feel bad about what she's doing and whatnot.

It kind of reminded me of Speak by Laurie-Halse Anderson in that it took a subject not typically touched upon and put it out there in an honest manner which I liked.

Essentially, the reason this book will probably stick with me forever is because I remember being a 14-year-old girl who wanted attention from someone, anyone.

And  the girl in this book went to some pretty dangerous and scary lengths to get attention. And part of me thinks that given the opportunity I might have acted just as recklessly when I was that age which is frightening. But I didn't go out and do the things she did.

I was desperate for attention when I was 14, and when I didn't get it I ended up spending most of my time in my counselor's office crying and feeling stressed out which was a healthy safe alternative.

And while I spent a considerable amount with my fantastic counselor in high school because of being attention starved and stressed out, I'm glad I was attention starved.

I wouldn't have gotten that attention I needed. I would've gotten some attention but the good kind. I remember not too long after I started high school there were going around making out with all kinds of people just because they could and if I wanted attention that's what I would've had to do. And if I had acted like that today I would feel ashamed.

Now, how do I get attention. I write. I tweet whatever's on my mind and people confusedly reply back. And sometimes I don't get attention and on those occasions I talk to my dog and he always listens.

Anyway, I think you should read Easy if you haven't because it's a true story and I like trust stories. And I don't mean true in the sense that it actually happened, but it's true in the sense that somebody definitely lived it.

In the meanwhile, SHARK WEEK is on and I must go indulge myself.

Fare thee well,
April

No comments:

Post a Comment